What is this medicine?
Povidone-Iodine cream is used for treating minor wounds and infections, as well as killing bacteria. Povidone-Iodine cream is an antiseptic combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
What should I tell my health care providers before I take this medicine?
Some medical conditions may interact with Povidone-Iodine cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have serious burns or deep puncture wounds
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Povidone-Iodine cream. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Povidone-Iodine cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How should I use this medicine?
Use Povidone-Iodine cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area. Apply a small amount of Povidone-Iodine cream to the affected area. The area may be left uncovered, or you may cover it with a sterile bandage.
- If you miss a dose of Povidone-Iodine cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Povidone-Iodine cream
What side effects may I notice from this medicine?
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur.
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
Do NOT use Povidone-Iodine cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Povidone-Iodine cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.